Our March 17th fly pattern was John’s Thang, the second of a three part series presented by long time SIFF member John Mathews. This fly is just one of the flies John has developed for fishing reds in the tidal marsh and is part of the pack of flies given to attendees of the club’s very popular Marsh Sense Clinic. John developed this fly after reading an article about a fly called a Wee Wiggler that used the squishy toy tentacles as a tail and hackle as a body. This fly is the Wee Wiggler on steroids! It has been modified for reds and is designed to imitate fiddler crabs, the primary food source for redfish feeding in the marshes of the Lowcountry. Those who attended the workshop not only learned to tie a highly effective fly, but they also had a chance to give back to the club. One goal for this fly tying class was to teach as many people as possible how to tie this fly and then tie as many as can be tied for the purpose of meeting the Marsh Sense Clinic’s demand.
- Hook: Mustad Classic O’shaughnessy size 1 to 2/0 or other large eyed, wide gap hook
- Weed Guard: Nickel Titanium Knot so Kinky leader wire, 18# test or 20# test
- Eyes: Medium to Large Lead Dumbbell
- Body: FTD Kraken Enhanced Dubbing(s) blend to your preference.
- Flash: FTD Starburst Dubbing-Gold,Copper,Purple,Red
- Tail: Tentacle from Squishy toy or Zonker Strip
Egg Sack: Thin slice of Foam Fly body, colored orange.
PLEASE NOTE: All of the materials will be supplied by the club. If you have some or all of the following equipment, please bring it along. If not, we have a number of kits, tying vises, and craft lights in the “club box” for your use.
Suggested Equipment List:
- Chisel point black marker.
- Black or dark thread and bobbin
- Cement or glue
Tiers of all levels are welcome from beginner to expert! Registration is not required and there is no fee to participate in the workshop.
Questions? Contact Ken at 610-999-9897