The fly pattern for May 19th was a Cobia Fly!
We tied the fly in red and white along with a variety of other colors chosen by the tier. These are materials that we have in our inventories from other patterns we have previously tied.
- Hook – Saltwater safe sz 2/0 or 3/0
- Thread – black 210
- Tail – magnum rabbit strip white over white bucktail
- Body – magnum rabbit strip wound to form body
- Head – red deer belly hair spun and clipped to shape.
- Eye – 3/8 or largest you can find
- Glue for eyes – e6000
- Having a cauderizer helps setting the eyes
A substantial hook is needed that will not be bent by a large cobia. The black and grey version in the picture are mounted on TMC 600SP. The downside to using this hook is the cost. About a buck. This color combination was successful in landing a cobia last May. Other good combinations include tip dyed rabbit strips with a dark head. And chartreuse can be incorporated in the pattern to your liking. See you on the third Thursday, May 19th! – Ken
Tiers of all levels are welcome from beginner to expert! Registration is not required and there is no fee to participate in the workshop.
Questions? Contact Ken at 610-999-9897